The last couple of months of the year, and the beginning of the next are known in the recovery world as the tumultuous “holiday hurricane season”. Not everyone struggles this time of year, but many of us do. A lot of people have sobriety dates around the holidays for one reason or another, but they tend to be the result of a celebration gone wrong. If you are in recovery, keep your sobriety date as is.
These Tips Will Help You Weather The Storm
- Pay Attention To Your Gut – If it’s telling you that going wherever you’re considering going is a bad idea, listen to it and stay away from there. This little voice was silenced in your addiction, and now that it’s back, pay attention to it.
- Beef Up Your Meetings – Sometimes, we all need that extra bit of support when the going gets tough. Everyone else is in the same boat, and staying close to your network this time of year is important.
- You Are Not Alone – You may be one of many of us whose family isn’t ready to see you yet. If so, know that you are not alone. Like the above suggestion, go to more meetings. Hang out with your new friends in recovery, go to an alcathon, be of service to others, volunteer at a homeless shelter-the holidays are really just another time of year, and they too, shall pass.
- No Stinking Thinking – If you’re new, chances are you’ve got a lot of “wreckage of the past”. Don’t dwell on it. Work with your sponsor or counselor to begin cleaning up what happened. Whatever you do, don’t drink or use. All picking up will do is create more wreckage, if it doesn’t kill you.
- Do Something Nice for Yourself – You are your own best friend. Treat yourself like it by taking care of yourself. If you like reading, get yourself a new book. Go to a new movie, or treat yourself to a nice dinner. Do something special for yourself, and do it often.
Hurricane season for addicts and alcoholics can be tough. If you are having a hard time, call The Lakehouse Recovery Center. You are not alone in this. Come here, get sober, and begin a new life in recovery. Sobriety is the best decision you can make for yourself. Give us a call, we are available 24/7, toll-free at (877) 762-3707. Change your life, and give recovery a chance. Call today.