Creating a Sober Lifestyle
Having too much free time can be a recovering addict’s enemy. Being bored might bring on cravings and if you’re not careful it can result in a relapse. In order to avoid relapse, fill up your free time with healthy activities that support your sobriety.
Ideas to Keep You Occupied and Sober This Summer
- Go to meetings – Stay on track by attending weekly meetings to support your recovery. These meetings offer a support network made of people who can relate to you and even offer advice if needed.
- Do an outdoor activity – Summer is the perfect time to get outdoors and connect with nature. Here are some ideas for outdoor activities:
- have a picnic by a lake
- stand up paddle boarding
- make a beach trip
- Create a playlist – Make yourself a playlist of songs that make you feel good and then listen to it whenever you’re feeling down.
- Develop a workout routine – Staying active is a great way to stay healthy and sober. Make it a habit to complete your workout routine every few days to keep you feeling good.
- Pick up a hobby – Now is the time to pick up a hobby that you’ve always wanted to try. There are so many interesting activities for a person to explore. Whether it’s yoga, drawing, playing guitar, cooking, or gardening, hobbies can fill your time with healthy activities to keep you on track.
- Make new friends – You’ll want to have sober friends and relationships around help support your sobriety. This summer, expand your social network by making some new friends who share the same interests as you and who you can have sober fun with. A great way to meet people who share the same interests is by going to a class, such as dance or karate.
When you find yourself with too much time on your hands this summer, refer back to this list of ideas and engage in an activity that will keep you occupied and help you stay sober.
Click HERE for the full article on The Fix.