Recovery from alcohol or drug addiction can be a challenge. You might encounter certain moments of self-doubt throughout your recovery journey. However, learning some techniques to prepare you for the more difficult times can be very helpful.
Have a look at the following techniques to help you continue on the road to recovery when you come across certain speed bumps, or moments of self-doubt.
- Accept and love yourself – Don’t beat yourself up. Instead, accept yourself, be kind to yourself, and know that you’re doing the best you can.
- Remind yourself why you’re doing this – When you feel yourself getting off track, reconnect with the reasons you started this journey in the first place.
- Stay connected to your values – Create a list of your values and then look over this list during tough times to remind yourself of your true values.
- Be aware of your thoughts and feelings – Check in with yourself and ask yourself whether you are living in the present moment. If not, bring yourself back to what is happening right now. When you are experiencing certain feelings that you think might hold you back, rather than fight then, decide to accept those feelings and then work from that place.
- Find inspiration from others who are on the same path – Seeing someone else whose overcome similar situations can serve as inspiration and show you that recovery is possible.
- Embrace the process – Recovery is not a destination, it is a process. Be open to learning from your experiences along the way and celebrate the journey.
Click HERE for the full article on Huffington Post.