Going to Rehab is Normal
There’s a startling statistic in recovery: only 1 in 10 will make it through a lifetime of recovery. Drug and alcohol addiction receives a lot of shame and stigma. Going to treatment, or “rehab” to recover from addiction gets a lot of jokes and criticisms. Though the statistic on success rate in recovery seems low, the same exact statistic for adults in the United States who have gone to treatment seems high.
One out of every 10 adults in the United States has gone to rehab. Specifically, they have attended an inpatient rehab, one of the highest levels of care for treatment.
YouGov reports that in their poll of 5,330 adults, “8% of US adults say they have attended an inpatient rehab center themselves.” Interestingly, the poll asked adults what they thought to be a “good reason” to go to an inpatient treatment center. Their findings revealed that:
- 17% of adults think that exhaustion is a good reason to go to an inpatient treatment center
- 68% of adults think that addiction to drugs is a good reason to go to an inpatient treatment center
- 67% of adults think that addiction to alcohol is a good reason to go to an inpatient treatment center
- 55% of adults think that anxiety/depression is a good reason to go to an inpatient treatment center
- 53% of adults think that an eating disorder is a good reason to go to an inpatient treatment center.
Does It Matter If People Think You Have A Good Reason To Go To Treatment?
It does not matter a single bit what other people have to say about your recovery. There is no such thing as a “good reason” to go to treatment. If you are struggling, suffering, and sick because of a mental health condition, you have a reason to go to treatment.
Everyone deserves the opportunity to heal and learn how to be healthy in their lives again. Your path to recovery starts with treatment. Recovery has to be a journey of your own in order to build a life of your own, free from drug and alcohol addiction or co-occurring disorders.
Start your path to recovery with us at Lakehouse Recovery Center. Our residential treatment programs welcome anyone looking to recover and receive clinical support for life transitions. In addition to clinical therapy and holistic healing, we like to have a lot of fun. Recovery is a life meant for living. For more information or to schedule a tour, call 877.762.3707.