If you are an addict or alcoholic, living holistically while wholly putting your health first is a world different than the way you were living pre-recovery. Some people think that the term “holistic” is hippy-esque, others spiritual, and others, knowing. What it is, is living your life by looking at the bigger picture. Everything you do has an impact on something else—the earth, people, your body. Your choices today will touch your life and the lives of others, tomorrow. Living a holistic lifestyle is about connection. Connecting to your environment through your mind, body, and soul, and living with a purpose.
Ways to Live Holistically
- Eat clean – Your body is your temple. You only get one, and now that you aren’t abusing it with drugs or alcohol, nourish yourself with fruits, vegetables, and loads of water.
- Share energy – Hopefully, you are getting in the habit of recycling more and wasting less. You can also recycle your energy by helping others, doing something nice for someone, or even just flashing a smile at a stranger.
- Grow away – Keep learning, because knowledge helps you grow into who you want to be. It opens your mind, allows you to experience new things, and tends to make people less judgmental.
- Slow down – Make yourself less busy by making time for things you love. Reading, exercise, gardening, and going to the movies are small things that add to your life. Find what it is that interests you, and do it. Life will be gone before you know it, enjoy it while you can.
- Be thankful – You get back what you put into the universe; when you love life, it will love you right back. If you are having a moment and are feeling low about whatever is going on around you, think about the things for which you are grateful—your sobriety, people you love, experiences, food in your belly, and a place to call home.
- Find your tribe – Seek out other people with a holistic mindset by going to yoga, taking a class, finding online groups, cooking courses, farmers markets, and the like. When you keep an open mind, you will find them and they will find you.
If you are struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, call The Lakehouse Recovery Center. You can change your life, and we can help. Our blended approach to recovery also incorporates holistic therapies so that you can find what works best for you. Give us a call, we are available 24/7, toll-free at (877) 762-3707. Recovery is possible, call now.