Addiction is tough on the body. Not only did we load ourselves up with toxic chemicals, but more than likely, our diet was poor and we weren’t hitting the gym on a regular basis. Detox isn’t over after you come to treatment; it takes awhile for your brain and body to heal, and eating healthy and exercising are two ways that can help put you on the fast track to health. The following is a list of foods you can start incorporating into your daily meals that will give you more energy, clearer thinking, and a cleaner body:
- Fruits – Stone fruits, such as peaches, apricots, cherries, and nectarines are high in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory benefits. Berries are also a great choice, and can be added to salads, smoothies, yogurt, and oatmeal. Though tempting, avoid adding sugar to any of these. Sugar causes weight gain, wrinkles, blood sugar spikes, and may lead to cancer.
- Veggies – Look for dark, leafy greens to add to your plate. Spinach, kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, and artichokes are good choices. If possible, incorporate vegetables into every meal. Vegetables may be the most important food group to include in your diet, especially in early recovery.
- Whole Grains – It’s time to move away from processed foods like donuts, sugary cereal, Pop Tarts, white flour tortillas, and bagels. Whole grains, like oats, brown rice, and quinoa will help moderate blood sugar, whereas processed foods will cause blood sugar spikes that can cause mood fluctuations, weight gain, and cravings.
- Plant Proteins – Protein doesn’t only come from animal products. Beans, nuts, and seeds are nutritious sources of protein. Kidney beans, lentils, edamame, almonds, pine nuts, cashews, pistachios, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and chia seeds are all good for light snacking or in salads.
- Lean Meats – Look to fish first. Wild-caught salmon, sardines, Pacific halibut, and Atlantic mackerel are high in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins D and B12. Eggs, and other lean sources of protein such as skinless chicken, low-sodium turkey, and grass-fed meats are also good choices when eaten in moderation.
If you are struggling with drug or alcohol abuse, we can help. Call The Lakehouse Recovery Center today, and begin healing your mind and body for a healthier, and happier tomorrow. You don’t have to be chained to addiction any longer. Give us a call, we are available 24/7, toll-free at (877) 762-3707. Recovery is possible. Call now.