It’s said that the only thing you need to change in recovery, is everything. Changing everything in your life may sound a little extreme, but try to keep an open mind. You don’t want to go back down the road of addiction, and usually, sayings like this one tend to come from the experience of others. Whatever you were doing in your life before getting sober wasn’t working, meaning, you need to make some adjustments. In order to make those adjustments a little easier, follow a few steps that will make the transition into recovery a little smoother:
- Remember Why – Your recovery is your responsibility. Think about the reasons as to why you wanted to change in the first place. Never let yourself forget what it was like in active addiction, and use this as motivation to make the changes you need to make in order to stay sober.
- Learn From the Past – If you have tried to get sober before, think about what worked, and what didn’t work. Your own experience and that of others is invaluable. Listen to people who have been in your shoes, and ask them how they did it.
- Clean House – Rid yourself of anything that reminds you of your addiction. This includes people. Old using and drinking buddies will bring you down faster than a rock in water. Find new friends that are sober by going to meetings. Get rid of paraphernalia, and don’t go to the bar, or anywhere else your drinking or using took you.
- Tell People – By letting people know that you are in recovery, you are becoming accountable. Who you tell is your decision, but the more support you have, the better.
- Acceptance – Resistance to recovery can land you in a lot of hot water, namely, relapse. Accepting the fact that you can no longer go back and drink or use safely, will help you immensely. So many addicts and alcoholics can’t let go of the idea that they can use or drink like a normal person, and they continue to live in addiction or they die
If you are struggling with addiction, we can help you change your life. Call The Lakehouse Recovery Center, and start a new life in recovery. You are not alone in this. Give us a call, we are available 24/7, toll-free at (877) 762-3707. Change can feel overwhelming, but the decision to get sober is the best one you can make. Recovery is possible. Call now.